Parse Shutdown and iOS Apps Backend Discussion

No, I’ll be using Firebase.com or CloudKit.

There’s other options I’m also investigating, but those are my top two choices right now. I got to play around with them a bit this weekend during Apple’s iOS App Hackathon that I was mentoring at.

Firebase is looking slick, but I have concerns with support since Google owns it.

As with any technology, these parent companies can decide to stop supporting and close down services that developers use. That makes it challenging as you plan for future changes in APIs or service shutdowns.

I trust Google as much as I trust Facebook now… clearly Firebase has way more support for Swift than Parse ever did (as was evident by my 4 hour live stream), but I’ve seen Google ditch things just as fast.

The real benefit for beginners was that Parse was a turn-key solution that didn’t require you manage the servers.

Firebase or CloudKit or Azure make more sense. I’ll have to dig into them in the Chapter 5 lessons with my best practices and recommendations for choosing a backend.

Moving forward I can’t recommend a service that doesn’t get supported. Bugs are too numerous on supported platforms, even open source doesn’t mean you get the same type of support (especially when you have 100,000s of customers). Money needs to be spent to get good service and support, open source only goes so far.

Either you need a team to maintain your own services, or you need to use an established service that has a good track record and bright future.Continuing the discussion from 1 sentence app ideas - Please add 10 ideas:

@PaulSolt
thank you for taking the time to respond. I agree that CloudKit sounds like a great alternative to look into.

In general, what I had forgotten to add with the app ideas: I would very much love to learn how to work with external JSON APIs using e.g. ‘alamofire’ (http communication) and ‘swifty json’ oder ‘argo’ when parsing JSON.

Thank you!

No one is considering Microsoft Azure DocumentDB? :smiley: (just some thoughts from a Microsoft stack guy)

Microsoft Azure for iPhone Apps?

Yes, Cloudmine.me is more targeted at enterprise since startups and app prototypes aren’t a big source of revenue for MBaaS (Mobile Backend as a Service).

I am considering, but I haven’t even looked at the Docs. Do they have Swift docs? Firebase has them, which makes it so much easier.

I was a C#/.NET programmer for a while before I went to Mac development, and I even worked at Microsoft in 2009. It’s not out of the question, but I really haven’t spent time researching it yet.

Parse didn’t, which lead to a 4 hour stream just trying to convert Objective-C to Swift (Facebook, and a tiny bit of parse) …

@PaulSolt Will definitely introduce some learning curve but Microsoft Azure gives you an easy way to get started with Mobile App Services choosing over two backend types, Node.js or .NET Web API. I haven’t used the iOS SDK but here it is, https://github.com/Azure/azure-mobile-services

@PaulSolt There are even more BaaS solutions, which are maybe worth to check, like:

There are also some IaaS solutions (including Azure) mentioned in an article: How the app world may look like after Parse died?